Robert Rose is my 9th Great Grandfather and as far I know is the first of my ancestors to arrive in America. He was born in Elmswell, Suffolk, England in 1594. In April of 1634 he left from Ipwich England with his wife Margery and eight of his children aged from 15 to two years old on the ship Francis and it is thought he arrived in Watertown Massachusetts but soon immigrated to Wethersfield Connecticut with the first 10 settlers to that area.
Yes, at 40 years old, Robert sold most everything he owned, picked up his family and sailed to the new world. He was known as one of “The Adventurers”.
Wethersfield is considered the first “town” in Connecticut. The original name of this area was Pyquaq and belonged to the Pequot tribe of Native Americans. The town was first named Watertown after the colony in Massachusetts but was changed to Wethersfield on 29 May 1635.
Not much is known about Margery other than she was his first wife and she died before 1644.
The children of Robert and Margery and the ages they left England are:
- John – 15
- Robert – 15
- Elizabeth – 13
- Mary – 11
- Samuell – 9
- Sarah – 7
- Danyell – 3 (my 8th Great Grandfather)
- Darcas – 2
In 1643 there was some dissension in Wethersfield among the members of the church and a few of the families, including Robert and his wife moved with William Swain to establish the city of Branford Connecticut. Not all the Rose family moved with them.
Robert was considered quite wealthy and his house in Branford was appraised at 40 Pounds. One source said his acreage was only equaled by a Mr. Plum and Thomas Munliner.
It is said that he fought in the Pequot War from 1636 – 1638 but it could have also been his son Robert. His son would have been 17 and it makes more sense that the younger Robert would have fought instead of his father.
Robert died sometime between 25 August 1664 and 4 April 1665. He was 71 years old.
His Last Will & Testiment states:
- Item first I give to my son Jonathan a hundred pounds
- 2. when all my debts are paid then I give to my wife one third part of my whole estate.
- 3. I give to my son Jonathan five pounds more.
- 4. I give to my daughter Hanna ten pounds more.
- 5. It is my will that all ye rest of my estate shall be equally divided into eight parts amongst my other eight children as followeth: That is to each of them alike part, but my son John & daughter Mary & my daughter Elizabeth shall have but twenty pounds of that part that falls to them, but the rest of that part which falls to them shall be given to their children.
- Item I give to the church of Brandford six pounds thirteen shillings foure pence.
My linage is:
- Robert Rose and Margery
- Daniel Rose (Son of Robert and Margery) – 8th Great Grandfather
- Jonathan Rose (son of Daniel Rose and Elizabeth Goodrich) – 7th Great Grandfather
- Elisha Rose (son of Jonathan and Abigail Hail) – 6th Great Grandfather
- Phinehas Rose (son of Robert and Abigail Ball) – 5th Great Grandfather (Revolutionary War Veteran)
- Roswell Rose (son of Phinehas Rose and Lucinda) – 4th Great Grandfather.
- Silas Nathan Rose (son of Phinehas and Elizabeth Ingraham) – 3rd Great Grandfather
- Ellen Lenore Rose (daughter of Silas and Elizabeth Hubbard) – 2nd Great Grandmother
- Catherine Sansom (daughter of William H. Sansom and Ellen) – Great Grandmother
- Lloyd Calvert Kelly (son of Freeman Leroy Kelly and Catherine) – Grandfather